About Me

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Finding Joy in the Beauty of a Mother's Example

 Hi Everyone, Thanks for stopping by.

I'm sorry I missed last week. I was trying to fix my lawn mower and it took me all day to finally give up and barrow my neighbors. Then with the election and everything I just didn't get a chance to sit down and write.

So today is a special day, it is the day we celebrate the most important person in my life.

My Mom🎉

Today is her birthday, 78 years old. We have a special day planned for her. Breakfast, dinner, getting her hair done, a nap. She is the queen of our castle so what ever she wants.

I know I've talked about my mom before and how grateful I am for her and I've probably have told these stories before, but I have to tell them again and share why I have so much joy knowing this wonderful, amazing women is my mom.

The other day when I was driving home from work some of the great examples she has shown me came to mind and it made me so proud to be her daughter. For example...

There was this one time when we went to the beach for a barbecue and while we were cooking the bergers and hot dogs this homeless man started hanging around our area. We new what was going to happen he was either going to beg for money or just wait til we were through and eat our scraps. I admit I felt bad for him and a part of me wanted to take him over some food but he made me nervous and I just tried to ignore him.

My mom took a different approach. After the food was cooked and we were starting to sit down. And after a police man drove past and told him to leave us along and keep moving. My mom told the police man he was fine and went over and invited him to come and eat with us.

Now maybe if my big brother wasn't there and it was just us girls she might have acted different, but the situation was right for this to happen.

So he did come over and ate with us and we got to know him a little. We learned his name was Bill and he referred himself as a traveler and not homeless. I can't remember if he had a family or not, but I remember how he was so open and grateful for the kindness he was given. He was treated like a normal person not some kind of vermin from the streets.

And to top off her kindness as it started getting dark and it started cooling off and the crisp ocean air rolled in we all started putting on our sweatshirts and jackets except my mom. She sat there looking at Bill with his thin flimsy sweatshirt and couldn't bear to put her think warm comfy sweatshirt on, so what did she do? Gave it to him of course. That's right, she literally gave him the shirt off her back. He refused at first of course, but then graciously took it. As he left us I couldn't help but admire my mom and her kindness to this stranger, and I just thought of Christ and the lessons he taught and what a Christ like person she showed me that day.

My mom is the greatest person I know and this is just one example where her Christ like attributes shined, but there are many more. I just don't have the time to write them all down.

So here is to the queen of our castle and to all she has taught us by her example of love and kindness.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM. WE LOVE YOU!










No comments:

Post a Comment